Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

When You Reach Me

As soon as I've been finishing a novel, I've handed it to my husband.  He is a thorough and fast reader.  When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead, was then passed along to our 13 year old daughter.  I knew she'd love it.

This was one of those books that had me guessing almost to the very end and caused me to flip back to search for previous clues.   There are some books that start slow and don't hook me until well into the first or second chapter.  This is not one of those books.




Sixth grader Miranda, navigates life in her New York City neighborhood circa 1978.  She deals with her closest friend abandoning her at the same time she begins receiving mysterious notes in her apartment.  Whoever is leaving these notes knows things - know things that have happened and will happen. 


How does this mysterious note writer know these things?  Miranda begins to discover that this is a matter of life and death for someone close to her. But who? When? How?  

I hate spoilers so I won't spoil.  This is a book that you definitely wouldn't want spoiled.

Beautifully written and touching upon sacrifice, the complexity of relationships; it also encompasses themes of friendship, racism, family, identity, forgiveness and compassion.  I loved the message about how kindness and forgiveness was the catalyst that changed everything for Miranda.  I'm a big believer that kindness has a ripple effect and could change our world.

Check out pg. 144:



I know that some teens love a dark, gritty book.  This book contains no sexual references and very mild profanity - just how I like a book.  It's just a great story with great writing.  I finished the book feeling uplifted and inspired.  This would be a great read for students in the 6th to 7th grade.

Some possible ideas for classroom use would be to use this book with Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time or Shakepeare's The Tempest.

Students could compare how Meg in A Wrinkle in Time seeks for individuality but Miranda from When You Reach Me feels like she has too much individuality and is an outcast, but wants to be accepted by her popular classmates.  Students in small groups could role play, stage an interview news program where "Meg" and "Miranda" are both interviewed and discuss their processes of discovering their identities. 




5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love any lesson that will include A Wrinkle in Time. I read that book when I was in the 5th grade and it is still one of my favorites! I loved your suggestion of staging an interview. What a great and different way for students to learn about a story. We need more inventive ways to make students get involved in their reading. I think role play lets them really explore the characters. Great suggestions and you really make me want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't even thought of reading this book yet, but your review makes me want to. The comparison to "A Wrinkle in Time" makes me want to even more! On of my childhood favorites! I think that with how we all struggle with our identities at that age, students would appreciate taking a harder look at the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I must admit that it took me a while to get into the novel but I found myself gasping at every revelation! It is such a great read! The way that time is handled in this novel is phenomenal. Patience is a virtue which is a lesson that Miranda and other characters learn in time. If I taught middle school, I would definitely pair it with A Wrinkle In Time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you set up your blogs! I had to say that first. This is the next book I plan to read, and after reading your blog, I am really excited to begin! If it can be compared to "A Wrinkle in Time" that makes it even more exciting. I can't wait to dive in now!

    ReplyDelete